Situation in Punjab, a day after parts of the state and neighbouring Haryana witnessed violence over the conviction of Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh in a rape case, is peaceful, officials said. Reports received here said violence also erupted in Ferozepur, Mansa, Malout, Moga and Muktsar towns of Punjab.
"Forces have been deployed, as per the requests from the State Governments", Singh said. I will not allow violence of any form in any sector in Punjab. In response to a question, the Chief Minister said he had directed the concerned officials to make a list of the property damaged in yesterday's violence and his government would submit the same to the Punjab, Haryana High Court, which has directed that the cost of any such damage be recovered from the Dera.
On the high court's comment that everybody let Panchkula burn for political gain, Hooda said, "When the high court says this, then it really shows the failure of this government", and that the government should collectively resign. The list would be submitted to the HC and the state would follow the orders.
In the same breath, Khaira castigated the Haryana and Punjab governments for failing to maintain law and order after the verdict against the Dera chief was pronounced.
Captain Amarinder disclosed that curfew had been lifted in three districts (Muktsar, Fairdkot and Sangrur) of the state and relaxed in the other areas where it was imposed yesterday.
Mexico Travel Warning Updated; Cancun, Los Cabos Included
Officials added that there's no evidence that US citizens are being targeted exclusively based on their nationality, however. The Mexican government is providing resources to combat the violence and protect its $20 billion tourism industry.
- Baghpat District Magistrate directs all schools in the region to remain closed today in Uttar Pradesh.
- Instances of violence are deeply distressing. Asserting that he would not allow any dera to create trouble in Punjab, Amarinder opined that the way things were going, it did not seem likely that political parties would support the Deras in the future.
- Madhur Verma of Delhi Police confirmed that Dera Sacha Sauda followers tried to create mischief, following which a case has been registered.
- Chandigarh DGP Tejinder Singh Luthra confirmed that taking preventive measures, Chandigarh Police detains 81 people. What can 200 cops do before lakhs of people?
- Passengers have been stranded at Bathinda railway station due to curfew imposed in Punjab.