Twitter Users File Lawsuit Against Trump for Blocking Them

Adjust Comment Print

The lawsuit asked a judge to stop Trump and his media team from blocking critics from following him.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer, who is named as a defendant in the suit along with White House director of social media Dan Scavino, said in June that Trump's tweets should be considered "official statements".

The Knight First Amendment Center sought to address and rebut such critiques in a lengthy blog posting later last month, and its complaint noted that since its letter, the Trump White House has taken several steps suggesting that the administration considers his Twitter account to be an official channel.

Filed in Federal District Court for the Southern District of NY, the lawsuit also names Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, and Dan Scavino, Mr. Trump's director of social media, as defendants.

"The First Amendment applies to this digital forum in the same way it applies to town halls and open school board meetings", Jaffer said in a statement.

US Soldier Killed In Helmand
The Pentagon is planning to deploy up to 5,000 more troops to Afghanistan to help security forces fighting the Taliban. President Donald Trump granted Secretary of Defense James Mattis authority to set Afghan troop levels in mid June.

Who Did Trump Block On Twitter?

The lawsuit filed on Tuesday argues that Trump's Twitter account infringes on First Amendment rights because it is a public forum that Trump, a government official, can not restrict people from viewing because he disagrees with their views, according to the Times.

The lawsuit advances novel legal theories about speech and civic participation at a time when Twitter is arguably the primary means of public communication employed by the president of the United States.

A request for comment from the White House wasn't immediately returned. And Trump has tweeted unsubstantiated accusations against numerous people, including most recently former Federal Bureau of Investigation director James Comey. Tuesday's lawsuit represents seven such Twitter users. "That's why the courts are protecting us from him", Pappas tweeted. Those blocked by Trump can still see his tweets if they do not log in to the site using the accounts that the president has blocked. During oral arguments, Justice Elena Kagan cited Trump's tweets as an example of newsworthy information.

The group suing includes Rebecca Buckwalter, a writer and political consultant in D.C.; Philip Cohen in Maryland, who is a sociology professor at the University of Maryland; Holly Figueroa from Washington, who is a political organizer; Eugene Gu in Nashville, who is a surgery resident; Brandon Neely, a police officer in Texas; Joseph Papp in Pennsylvania, who is a former pro cyclist; and NYC-based Nicholas Pappas, who is a comic and writer. All the plaintiffs allege they were blocked for tweeting messages that disagreed with the president and his policies. "It imposes an unconstitutional restriction on their right to access statements. available to the public at large".

Comments