Indian troops kill two civilians in Kashmir

Adjust Comment Print

India on Friday lost its six courageous sons as militants ambushed a police party at Achabal in Anantnag district of South Kashmir.

Another one lost his life on Friday during an encounter between security forces and militants in Arwani village in south Kashmir's Bijbehara area.

A police official said security forces during search of debris of a house that was damaged in yesterday's gunfight between militants and security forces in Arwani village recovered bodies of three LeT militants.

During the encounter, a large number of villagers gathered around the cordoned area, shouting slogans and throwing stones on the security personnel in a bid to run over the encounter site to help the hold-up terrorists escape.

Matoo, 19, was among the 12 most wanted militants in the Kashmir Valley and was a new-age Kashmiri militant who joined the LeT instead of the Hizbul Mujahideen. Pakistan-based Lashker-e-Taiba claimed responsibility for the attack. The two houses being used as fortified bunkers by the LeT commander and his associate in Arwani village were demolished by the security forces using improvised explosive devices (IEDs).

According to police, Matoo was involved in several militant attacks and killings of policemen, while as Wani and Mir had joined militant ranks previous year. Police said the militants were firing on police and army positions from these houses.

Trump being probed for possible obstruction of justice
Sessions recused himself from investigations related to the Trump campaign in February, a move that also provoked Trump's ire.

Kashmiri protesters clash with Indian policemen in Srinagar, Indian controlled Kashmir, Friday, June 16, 2017.

Malik was rushed to a hospital here for treatment but succumbed to injuries., the official added.

According to KNS correspondent, a spontaneous shutdown was observed in parts of Anantnag, Kulgam, Pulwama districts against these killings. Some of the militants also fired from within the crowd indiscriminately on the security forces, he said.

Authorities on Friday again blocked high speed mobile Internet facility in the area fearing escalation in tempers over civilian killings.

On Thursday, two police officers were killed in two separate shootings by suspected rebels in Srinagar, the region's main city, and in the southern Kulgam area.

A guerrilla war is going on between militants and Indian troops stationed in the region since 1989.